Pages

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Campus Outreach

Tuesday night (June 21,) we hosted 110 Campus Outreach students from Indiana universities. We enjoyed worship together, they watched excitedly as different people presented their skills (from linguistics to teaching to ethnomusicology) and demonstrated that anyone can be used in Bible Translation! The students loved it. At the end, my favorite storyteller, Gary, challenged the students. He explained the need that Bibleless People groups have for prayer. We gave them all the opportunity to commit to praying at least once a week (preferably every day) for a Bibleless People group. The response astounded us. Out of 110 students, 75 signed up! 20-30 of the others had committed to praying last year! Praise God!

Greater yet is the opportunity I now have: on Sunday nights, these students gather together for worship, prayer, Bible study, and fellowship. We interns received an invitation to join them. I thought that hand-delivering a thank you/welcome letter to each of the students who committed to pray would speak volumes to the students and bless my heart immensely! Therefore, I spent all day Wednesday and Thursday working on this. I assigned each of the 75 students to their language, printed 75 welcome letters (some of which I personally wrote, most of which I edited), stuffed 75 envelopes with bookmarks, bumper stickers, people group information, and the welcome letters. This Sunday (June 26) I have the privilege of presenting these packages to the students and personally thanking them and encouraging them to stay committed to praying! Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment